Friday, November 5, 2010

A Great Leader

      A few days ago, while I was babysitting, I witnessed something both extremely amusing and extremely frightening; Sidney Crosby in a fight. At first, I thought it was great. Crosby never fights, so this was a rare treat to watch. A couple of seconds into the fight however, I became nervous. If he ended up getting hurt, the Penguins would not only lose their best player but also, their captain. If Crosby had broken his hand or something, he'd be out for about 4-6 weeks. That would, for lack of a better word, suck. Luckily, he wasn't injured in the brawl, so I could breathe a sigh of relief. After the game, Crosby explained why he fought. When I heard the explanation, I instantly had a new found respect for him.
      Crosby explained that Brendon Morrow (the captain of the Dallas Stars), started a fight with the Pittsburgh defense man, Kristopher Letang. Apparently, Letang hurt his hand in a previous game and that was the reason Morrow picked on him. Morrow could have not been aware of the injury; but I doubt it. A few minutes later, right after the faceoff, Crosby asked Dallas defense man, Matt Niskanen if he wanted to go. And of course, he went.
        What made this fight so significant was by taking care of business, Crosby tried to stick up for his teammate and inspire his team. Crosby doesn't really have fight, since he's a superstar. This was, in fact, only his 5th career fight. Even though he could have gotten pummelled (Sid isn't really the best fighter), he still dropped the gloves. Now that's what I call a great leader. The Pittsburgh Penguins ended up losing the game 5-2, but that's an entirely different story.
  

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Sidney was just standing up for his team mate. Good for him. Normally I don't condone fighting but in this case maybe.

    ReplyDelete