Thursday, November 11, 2010

Lest We Forget

     As some of you already know, I played in the Remembrance assembly today with the Sr. Band. As I was getting up to drain my trumpet, I saw something that made me mad. No, not mad, livid. I saw some "I'm too cool for school" grade nine wearing his poppy on his hat. Poppies are supposed to be worn over your heart to symbolize that we remember all of the men and women who fought and are still fighting for us. They're worn to show we appreciate their sacrifices. Poppy wearing might not seem important to some people, but it really should be. By wearing a poppy on your hat or you backpack, you're basically just trying to be cool or different. I, personally, find it rude and insanely disrespectful. These men and women risked their lives for us, and people can't even wear poppies correctly?
    The reason why I care about poppies so much is because Remembrance day has always been close to my heart. My grandfather, Ross Finlayson, fought in W.W.II as a fighter pilot and lived to tell the horrific tale. Can you even begin to imagine what it would be like to get into a plane everyday, knowing that it might be your last? My grandfather and so many other men and women risked and lost their lives for our freedom and people can't even respect them as much to wear a poppy right? That sort of thing disgusts me. Wear your poppies the right way, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment