Sunday, February 20, 2011

Never Say Never: Justin Bieber Does have Talent

   Justin Bieber. The name alone makes doves coo in delight, old ladies cry with joy and young girls' "naughty parts tingle." No, I'm not a Bieber fanatic but I do enjoy his hair. I'm neutral on the subject of Justin himself, he's a pretty talented kid though. That's why I absolutely loathe when people hate on him. Justin is actually one of the most purely talented stars in the business, and here are just some of the reasons why.
       1. His voice. Yes, I know Justin isn't the best singer in the world. And he does, sort of, sound like a girl but that in no way means he can not sing. Believe me, this is coming from a girl who listens to the Les Miserables and the Wicked soundtracks on repeat almost everyday, is a Barbra Streisand and Julie Andrews fanatic and belts The Phantom of the Opera in the shower at least 4 times a week (which I must say sounds pretty good with the acoustics in there) . I know who can sing. I also know pop stars often alter their voices in the recording studio. But every time I've heard Justin live, he's been great. Even from his early days of his pre-teen YouTube videos, he's impressed me with his voice. He has an undeniably great voice, and the success to show for it.
       2. His musical abilities. Yesterday, I willingly went to see Never Say Never with my friend. I was a little sceptical at first, considering I saw the Jonas Brothers concert movie and was a tad disappointed. This movie, however, really went in-depth about Justin's abilities as a child. When Justin was a toddler, he started drumming on things around the house. Watching him drumming on a kitchen chair, I was pleasantly surprised. This toddler would have been at the expert level by now if he was playing Band Hero. Also at a very young age, he started playing piano and the guitar. This is all coming from a little boy whose family has no spectacular musical talents. Justin had never had a professional drumming, guitar, piano, or vocal lesson in his life when he started posting his sugary sweet videos on YouTube. That is what I call a prodigy my friends. I am in no way comparing him to Mozart, Beethoven or Michael Jackson, and I, once again, know he isn't the most talented person ever; but he has extraordinary abilities for a 16 year old boy.
       3. His rise to the top. Justin Bieber spent most of his life in the small town of Stratford, Ontario, Canada. I've been to Stratford, many times. Besides from the cute little Scottish shop and the Shakespeare overload of awesomeness; there really isn't much to do there. Can you really imagine a boy from, possibly, the middle of nowhere to become a superstar overnight? No. Can you imagine a somewhat prodigal boy from the middle of the nowhere becoming a superstar overnight? Absolutely, but it came with a lot of hard work that most people in their entire lifetime could never live up to. When he was 13, Justin would play for hours outside of The Avon Theatre in downtown Stratford (I saw him playing there once, but I thought he was a crazy homeless boy so I ran away). Dedication at its finest. Justin sang in countless competitions and posted video after video before his manager saw one of them and tracked him down. After being brought to Atlanta and singing for Usher, he was signed to his record label. I believe Justin Timberlake also wanted Justin Bieber to sign with him. If two of the most popular men in music thought Justin Bieber was talented, it shocks me to hear that other people don't.
        You can say what you want about Justin Bieber, like how his hair is weird or how his songs are cheesy or even how he reminds one of a lovely little kitten, but no one has a right to say that he isn't talented. Next time someone says he has no talent, I'd like them to call me when they're a multi million dollar recording artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment