Saturday, October 2, 2010

New Directions

      I can't fight this feeling anymore. I need to explain how much I love Ryan Murphy's brilliant creation, Glee. In case you're wondering, I am the stereotypical "Gleek". I yelp whenever I see a commercial for it, get into heated conversations about how much I hate Kurt and squeal whenever I hear Matthew Morrison croon. I know Glee may seem like a moronic, cheesy musical but it's really not. The writing and the characters are truly fantastic and are actually, very real. Sue may seem like an crude, crazy and unrealistic cheer leading coach, but she's actually a very complicated and flawed individual. All of the characters are comical but also have depth and hidden problems. For example, Rachel was adopted, Finn's father died before he was born, Kurt is afraid to come out as being gay and Sue has a mentally challenged older sister that she is unable to fully care for. There's possibly a character that everyone could relate to (I personally relate to Mercedes and Rachel). 
        I know this may sound ridiculous, but Glee actually changed my life. Before I started watching it, I hardly had any confidence when it came to what I enjoy doing most, singing. After singing along with Lea Michelle (and actually hitting the notes), I felt confident in my singing abilities. I now have enough confidence to sing in front of people and ask for solos in choir. As you can see, Glee is much more than a show to me. It was a catalyst to realizing my true singing abilities. If you don't watch Glee, you're missing out. If your lucky, it just might change your life for the better too.

No comments:

Post a Comment