Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Good, Old Hockey Game

   Yesterday at 7:00pm, the Pittsburgh Penguins had a game in Buffalo. Instead of watching it at home, I was watching it from about 200 ft in the air, seated in a uncomfortable, navy blue chair (Oh no! I'm typing in rhyme!). That's right folks, I was at the game, face to face with my future husband, Sid the kid. Well, it wasn't really face to face because I had to squint to see him, but it was all good.
     Before the game began, my family and I walked up the never ending staircase of doom to our "nosebleed" seats just in time to see the Penguins and the Sabres warming up. As we were treading our way up, I saw him. Sidney looked like a perfect, enchanting, handsome angel. Well, a really, really small, Polly pocket size angel. As we were fawning over our favourite hockey player , two American Sabres fans came to their seats and sat down beside us. At first, the men seemed reasonably respectful but as soon as the game started, their real, disgusting personalities came out. Every single damn time Sidney touched the puck, they'd start booing. No really, every single time. I really wanted to punch them in the face, but I decided that wouldn't be such a smart idea. One of men was clearly intoxicated, I could smell it on his tacky, Buffalo jersey. When Crosby was talking to the referee, he shouted "You're just like Gretzky! A whiner!" Uhh, dude. Gretzky was the greatest hockey player to ever live, so that's quite a nice compliment. And then when Max Talbot was hurt he screamed "Get up you little suck!" I was seriously super angry, I really wished one of the hockey players would come up and hit him. But Max was okay, so I could breathe a sigh of relief. Max is a good player, french Canadian and sexy; it would have been terrible to lose him. Whenever our goalie, Marc-Andre Fleury, made a save, the drunk guy would scream "Fleury's terrible in net. He's a girl!" At one point, I said quietly "What if I like girls..." and this kind lady sitting in front of me laughed. I liked her, even though she was rooting for the other team.
      That's what different from Canadian hockey fans and American hockey fans, we have respect. I know I wrote a blog on how we shouldn't categorize groups of people, but every single American fan I saw was the exact same way. Whenever our team got a goal, they'd boo. Whenever Crosby was on the ice, they'd call him a fag. Sorry, but I think that's so mean. I know the hockey world isn't rainbows and butterflies, but shouting and calling a hard working hockey player names is just about as rude as it gets, and those were just the Buffalo fans. A group of rowdy, drunk, American Penguins fans, in the section beside us, left the arena shouting "Pittsburgh rocks! Buffalo sucks!" I mean, you're in the other team's arena and they just lost (big time). Show some respect for the other team.
    Even though my night was somewhat spoiled by the rude drunks sitting beside me, I still had a fantastic time. The Penguins won, 5-2, and Crosby got an assist to keep up his 18 game point streak, which made me very happy. To further prove my point from before, as the lady in front of me was leaving, she shook my hand and said "Good game. That Crosby of yours in quite good." I noticed she was wearing a Canada Olympic hat and gloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment