Saturday, December 25, 2010

Kill Shakespeare

    So, I know it's Christmas today and I should be celebrating with my family, but something happened today that made me livid and insanely jealous. I got quite a few amazing gifts today, which I am very thankful for. They include: A Pittsburgh Penguins hat, a Harry Potter Movie Magic book, a pink roots sweater, a scarf and a Sidney Crosby Team Canada Jersey. But my mother got something so cool, so awesome, so marvelous that I can not contain my dismay any longer. She received, from my father, a book. But it's not just any old book; it's a graphic novel called, Kill Shakespeare. It's like Kill Bill, but 10x better. I know this sounds like a ridiculous thing to be jealous of, but the book is the coolest thing I've ever laid eyes on.
    Basically, the book takes place in a world in which  all of Shakespeare's characters reside. His most frightening villains( Richard III, Lady Macbeth and Iago) believe Hamlet to be a prophesied ‘Shadow King’. Richard the III offers Hamlet the fantastic deal of he will bring Hamlet’s dead father back to life (with the assistance of his three witches) if Hamlet can track down a reclusive wizard… by the name of William Shakespeare. Shakespeare's greatest heroes(Hamlet, Juliet, Falstaff and Othello) are known as prodigals trying find Shakespeare to defeat the evil Richard III. Genius.
      I wanted this book since the first time I saw it, and my mother received it. But the worst part is, she doesn't even seem to care that she got it. It'll probably just get placed in her dusty, ancient bookshelf for the rest of eternity. Maybe I'll just steal it.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I hope you push your Mum to read it first. Hopefully she'll realize that graphic novels are just as rewarding as "regular" books. (I had to seed my Mum twice, once with Bone and then again with Persepholis - at that point she started to get the whole "comics" thing.

    As an aside, I'm one of the co-creators of Kill Shakespeare and this is one of the nicest things I've ever read about the book - so thanks for making my day (and hey, Crosby scored today!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to look for this next time I'm in a bookstore (which I've been avoiding until I've finished all of my marking!)

    Pretty cool comment from Conor above! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete