Thursday, September 9, 2010

Dear Romance Novels


I love to read and books are my passion. I consider myself a "smart" reader, so I never in a million years thought I would read a Nicholas Sparks novel. I mean, eww. Romance novels are mostly tacky, unrealistic, cheesy, predictable and written by some student in university trying to earn some cold, hard cash. I usually read things like The Kite Runner or The Giver. Novels with depth and meaning, not cheesiness and crap.
      I read Dear John at my cottage in Bayfield. There is nothing to do in Bayfield. There are only so many times that one can browse in the kitchen stores that claim that everything in the was made in Canada, are for old people and that smell faintly like Made in China stickers hidden on the inventory. Anyways, that's when I read the marvellous, literary masterpiece of Dear John. Everything in the novel was not what I expected. It wasn't tacky, but charming and sweet. It was actually quite realistic (even though I don't believe in love at first sight) and was totally not predictable. The ending tugged at my heartstrings so much, it made me sob uncontrollably. I loved it.
    I now have read 4 Nicholas Sparks Novels and absolutely adore them. I guess you really can't judge a book by it's cover after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment