Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Death to the Kindle

       Have you ever seen one of those Kindle or E-reader things? Those mini computers that you can download hundreds of different books on? Well, they suck. E-readers ruin the entire experience of reading. I mean, how could someone ever read a classic like Oliver Twist on a tiny, little computer that destroys your eyes?
    To achieve the entire experience of reading something, you need  to hear the spine crack the first time you open the book or the perfect scent of a new book. With that dumb computer thing, that isn't possible. You need to be able to take a book wherever you want like on a plane, or a waiting room or even snuggling with your dog on the couch while it's snowing outside. Even owning a book is part of the experience. Seeing the different colours and textures on a book shelf. Their pages whispering their darkest secrets, begging you to read them. Books speak even when they stand unopened on the shelf. 
     A hundred years ago, people didn't have stupid computers, they had real books. I love reading one of my favourite books, Gone with the Wind, and knowing that people many years ago have read it just like I am. Actually turning the pages and skipping to the last chapter to know if Rhett really didn't give a damn. E-readers obviously aren't the same.
      One of the best experiences of reading an actual book is the memories that come along with it, like where you were or what you were doing when you were reading it. For example, I remember reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on a plane coming home from France. I actually shouted "Fred dies?!?!" and everyone on the plane looked at me. It was super embarrassing, but whenever I pick up that book, I think about the memory. Memories cling to the printed page more than anything else (as quoted from Inkheart). I don't understand how someone could have those experiences on a little computer screen.
   So never bring an E-reader near me, or I'll probably throw it out the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment